Posted Feb 8
Technology Industry Writer
About the role
Free Agency represents and manages careers in tech. Hollywood entertainers & athletes have talent agents shouldn’t you? We currently work with clients (Free Agents) who work in the technology industry broadly, driving their searches for new jobs and/or helping them succeed at their jobs. We’ve raised $5.35M from amazing investors, including Resolute Ventures, Bloomberg Beta, Ludlow Ventures, and more.
We represent knowledge workers in their careers, similar to agents or brokers in other industries. Some of what we provide is digital, such as tools to track skills, interesting jobs, and career progress. Most of what we provide is concierge service, in the form of Talent Agents who pair with our Free Agent clients on a one-to-one basis. These Free Agents work at companies like Amazon, Zoox, Square, Notion, Tinder, SpaceX, Google, and Netflix. They also work at emerging startups backed by top-tier venture capitalists, including Sequoia, USV, Andreessen Horowitz, Accel, Index, and Benchmark.
We are looking for an experienced individual to serve as an as-needed writer across multiple initiatives at Free Agency. You will be responsible for writing or editing documents related to our Free Agents, helping us pitch them to companies, tell their stories to potential future employers, and otherwise expand their personal brand.
Typically, the results of your work will be brief emails or messages we’ll send directly to recruiting contacts and hiring managers. If you have a strong editorial background, you’ll also work on long-form pieces for our new media arm focused on high-quality tech industry content.
You’ll deal with a variety of client profiles, needing to constantly write compelling, customized copy that demonstrates their potential fit to a particular job, tech company, or startup. You should have a decent familiarity with the tech industry and the roles that are common within it (product management, software engineering, performance marketing, ops, etc), as that familiarity will allow you to better write copy that sells a specific candidate’s story into different companies.
You might be good for this role if other job titles you’re looking at include:
- Content Creator/Manager
- Social Media Manager
- Technology Writer or Editor
- Another tech professional (PM, engineer, marketer, etc) looking for part-time work
Your responsibilities will include:
- Draft and edit emails or messages that sell individual candidates to specific jobs/companies
- Write and edit long-form content related to startups and technology
- Research talent, job, and employer-related information to write on-target material
- Receive and integrate raw feedback on your writing, style, or content
Things that you may want to know:
- We enforce, enthusiastically, the Oxford comma.
- Free Agency does already have a particular voice we’re looking to keep/evolve, so you should be prepared for a lot of feedback until you adapt.
- You should have a strong familiarity with the tech industry and its related roles so that you can quickly understand our Free Agents and why they fit particular roles/companies.
Apply for this role