Posted May 14
Senior Ruby Engineer
About the role
About Learning Tapestry
Hi! We're Learning Tapestry. We're a 25+ person all-remote, global organization dedicated to making digital learning "just work" for educators and learners alike. We solve hard problems in complex education technology environments. We’re a triple bottom line company: we make a profit like any good business; our work makes the world better (“social impact”); and we create a healthy internal work environment for everyone who works here. For our staff we believe in flexible work locations and working arrangements. We empower all of our team members to manage their schedules and adjust as necessary. We're focused on results and impact, not locations and hours. We hire people with great technical ability, but we also expect everyone at Learning Tapestry to have strong character and solid communication skills.
What we’re looking for
You’re an exceptional professional software engineer with at least 5 years of software engineering experience. You’re comfortable in multiple languages including Ruby on Rails and embrace new approaches to solve problems. You’re looking for a part-time position with the possibility to grow into a full-time role. We expect you to start from 20-25 hours per week. You must have some availability that overlaps with our client in New York (UTC -5) and California (UTC -8).
Required Skills and Experience
- You have either:
- Computer Science or Engineering degree or other STEM degree, or
- Exceptional professional software engineer experience and expertise
- You have very good written communication skills, fluent written English, and comfortable, clear spoken English.
- At least five years of Software Engineering Experience.
- Write clean, self-explanatory code using S.O.L.I.D. and design patterns
- Senior with Ruby on Rails
- React or similar complex UI development environments
- Experience developing and consuming APIs
- Experience with SQL DBs. Specifically experience with Postgres a plus, as we use mainly Postgres. DB experience on NoSQL considered, combined with a strong motivation to learn relational approaches too.
- Experience working in collaborative environments using git (e.g. GitHub).
- Comfortable using ticket-based technical project management (e.g., GitHub tickets and boards)
- Must have some availability that overlaps with our clients in New York (UTC -5) and California (UTC -8)
- Some DevOps/Linux experience with AWS/Azure/Rackspace/Heroku/DigitalOcean
- Continuous Integration and Deployment experience (e.g., CodeShip, Cloud66)
- Experience in Ed Tech Field (Education projects)
Apply with your resume and in your cover letter please confirm that you are available per the hours described in the job description.
You’re comfortable in a remote work environment, with team members from different time zones. You manage your own time well and are a self-starter. You have a distraction-free place you can use for work that offers reliable Internet access, either in your home or a local co-working facility.
You are experienced and well-versed in the productivity tools we use, like Google Apps & Hangouts, Slack, and Harvest for time tracking.
You’re fluent in written and spoken English.
Please do not hesitate to apply if you do not match these requirements exactly but think you could be a good fit.
Learning Tapestry is an equal opportunity employer and encourages individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds, sexual orientations, and gender identities to apply. We are also particularly interested in individuals who have lived in or worked with underserved communities such as low-income, gender nonconforming, disabled, or indigenous peoples.
Apply for this role