Posted Mar 30
Power Tool, Knife, and Outdoor Equipment Expert Writers
About the role
Are you an expert on everything power tools and equipment?
Do you enjoy writing comparisons between tool brands and equipment reviews?
We are looking for tool experts to join our writing team. We're looking for people who enjoy using power tools and know a LOT about them. You need to be someone who uses these tools on a regular basis and who can talk about them in a conversational, friendly tone.
Your articles would revolve around:
- Power tools like drills, grinders, and other gas-fueled and battery-operated equipment
- Brand reviews and comparisons for brands like Milwaukee, Makita, EGO, DeWalt, and many others.
- Outdoor equipment like chainsaws, sprayers, trimmers, lawn mowers, and many others.
- Knives and other blades
- Farm equipment like ATV accessories, tractor implements, and anything you can attach to a lawn mower.
If this sounds like you, and you know a lot about this range of equipment, we'd love to hear from you!
A bit more about us...
Outdoor Happens focuses on self-sufficient backyard homesteads. Our goal is to help people create the best backyard possible, with the best gear possible.
We focus on four areas: gardening & farm, homesteading/survival, backyard living, and tools & equipment.
Here's what we're looking for:
- Optimism and enthusiasm - we're a passionate bunch and if you're not, you won't fit.
- Team player. Help others and they'll help you.
- Dedication. We're a small team, kinda like a family, and although you don't need to dedicate your life to us, we do ask that you're dedicated to writing great content.
- A little crazy. If you're a bit weird, that's OK. We've seen enough boring blog posts to last us a lifetime.
- Native English only. You can do this job from anywhere in the world, but your English needs to be native.
- Reliable. You need to be able to commit to at least 2000-3000 words a week, long term. Don't leave us hanging without notice, it's not nice.
- Writing skills. We don't care if you're a professional writer or have just started. What matters is that you can engage us with your story and tell it like it is. We're anti-fluff so you need to be able to make your point succinctly and entertain us at the same time. Anyone can apply!
- Rate per word. Make sure you include your rate in your application. To give you some idea, we pay $0.02 for your first article (sometimes the first couple, if needed), which we see as a test to see if you're a good fit for the team. After the test article(s), and you've taken our feedback on board, we pay $0.03 per word. If your rate is more, convince us why you're worth it.
- Research. You'll need excellent research skills and be able to compare the good and bad points of each product to identify the one that stands out. You'll also need to be able to write a guide stating what the reader should look for in these products.
- Value. We are looking for writers who can provide exceptional value for readers. The bulk of your articles will be round-up reviews and product reviews. Examples of such articles would be "the 7 Best Tractors for Your Small Farm" and "The Main Differences Between Curved and Straight Shaft Trimmers". These reviews will be around 2000 words each.
How to Apply
Please apply via email, to elle at outdoorhappens.com.
Tell us a bit about yourself, something that's different about you. Treat your introduction as a mini blog post so we can see your zing!
Please include a sample post or review if possible.
Wishing you a lovely day,
Apply for this role