Posted Mar 21
About the role
- Location: Contract / Freelance United States
About the Role
Simply Recipes is looking for freelance food photographers to cook, style, shoot and edit recipes and other food-related content while adhering to our brand guidelines. Recipe photography includes both method/process as well as the finished recipe. This individual must have a passion for photography and food, with an eye for food styling, composition, and foundational culinary knowledge. You will be working remotely out of your own home/studio on a per-assignment basis.
We are looking for a wide variety of diverse cuisines to be photographed and are open to photographers who are experts in specialized cuisine.
About Your Contributions:
- Photograph/style finished recipe, as well as various stages of the cooking process for each recipe from start to finished product in accordance with style guide
- Determine and use appropriate lighting, composition, background, and equipment (as well as any additional specifications) to ensure quality shooting in accordance with style guide
- Gather fresh, photogenic ingredients and cook using appropriate props, technique, and equipment as provided in the photo brief.
- Follow direction from and collaborate with Photo Director to work efficiently and meet project deadlines
- Edit and retouch photos
- 3+ years professional experience with food photography, food styling and retouching
- Extensive knowledge of lighting food, both naturally and artificially
- Intermediate/advanced home cooking experience preferred
- Access to, and proficiency with Photoshop, Lightroom
- A portfolio of food photography that demonstrates the above knowledge
- Ability to work well independently
Dotdash’s vibrant brands help over 100 million users each month find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. Dotdash is among the largest and fastest growing publishers online, and has won over 50 awards in the last year alone, including Digiday’s 2020 Publisher of the Year. Dotdash brands include Verywell, Investopedia, The Balance, The Spruce, Simply Recipes, Serious Eats, Byrdie, Brides, MyDomaine, Lifewire, TripSavvy, Liquor.com, and TreeHugger.
Apply for this role