Posted Mar 29
Educational Content Coordinator
About the role
Kialo is the world’s largest argument mapping site: facilitating, capturing and visualizing the world’s hardest debates. Since our launch in late 2017, we have grown into a community with thousands of debates and millions of contributions. Included under the Kialo umbrella is Kialo Edu, a custom version of Kialo built specifically for educators – since launching in November 2019, it has seen great uptake, and is being used by educators worldwide to teach critical thinking and facilitate thoughtful classroom discussion. Kialo Pro, a version of Kialo built for businesses, is in the works and is already in use by companies during the development stage.
At Kialo, our mission is to make the world a more thoughtful place. With clear visualization of arguments and powerful, easy to use navigation tools, Kialo is a dynamic space for thoughtful discussion.
About the Role
We’re currently seeking an Educational Content Coordinator on a long-term contractor basis to join our remote team, assisting in the maintenance and development of content on the Kialo Edu site. You’ll join a diverse and vibrant team of staff around the world, collaborating closely with other team members to develop and improve existing and new Kialo Edu content.
Kialo prides itself on flexibility; we would love to hear from educators, past or present, who want to use their experiences to inform and create relevant, engaging content for students and teachers. As this is a long-term freelancer contract, you are free to work hours that suit you, without being tied to traditional office hours.
Our rates begin at 28 USD/hr during our probationary training period, rising to 30 USD/hr once the training period is successfully completed, with scope to increase depending on our satisfaction with your work; this would equate to between $25-30k annually, contingent on hours worked. We ask for a minimum of 20 hrs/week commitment.
All Kialo staff begin with a six-week probationary onboarding period, during which we focus on training: learning our site, building familiarity with how Kialo debates evolve, and the specific skills we will need from you in this role. After this period, you would be responsible for:
- Creating and maintaining high-quality educational resources, using Kialo’s product framework. This involves significant research and writing work, and most importantly, an awareness of the target audience (in most cases, students!).
- Designing and creating lesson plans and/or programmes to support our created resources.
- Testing use cases for various classroom contexts.
- Other tasks as arising and agreed, including providing input and feedback on site documentation and community resources.
- Fluent in English, with excellent written professional communication.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Experience working directly in the educational sector, ideally in classroom contexts, for a minimum of two years.
Professional Skills Requirements
- Strong attention to detail, with a ‘perfectionist’ streak.
- Highly developed analytical skills.
- Exceptional proficiency in written English.
- Diligent, self-directed and organised, able to work with a high degree of independence in a globally distributed team.
- Excellent communication skills, particularly in written work.
- Experience in freelance and remote working is highly desirable.
- Proficiency in a second language is desirable.
- Experience in edtech contexts is desirable.
If this role sounds exciting to you, please get in touch at [email protected] with an email subject line of ‘Educational Content Coordinator – [your name]’.
In addition to a CV/resume and cover letter, please attach a sample of your writing that meets the following criteria:
- Minimum 250 words, maximum 500.
- Explains any given topic to an audience of students aged 12-15.
We are looking for people who can explain a topic clearly and concisely, whilst having an awareness of how to modulate tone and language to suit a school-aged audience. You are welcome to choose any topic, although we recommend that you select a topic that would be covered as part of a standard curriculum where you are based.
Shortlisted candidates will be initially asked to attend a video interview with one of our hiring team, during which we will discuss next steps and answer any initial questions you may have. We look forward to hearing from you!
Please note that applications for this position will close 19th April 2021.
Apply for this role