Posted Apr 13
About the role
Working with others, in a spirit of generosity and mutual respect, Idealist’s mission is to help build a world where all people can lead free and dignified lives. Organizations in search of top social-impact talent post their jobs, internships, and volunteer opportunities on Idealist. In turn, individuals can search our listings and find opportunities to move from intention to action. This ecosystem brings together thousands of organizations and millions of people each year.
Across our family of blogs, we publish about three new posts each week. The majority of our published content focuses on offering our community expert nonprofit and social-impact career advice, tips, and resources. The Editorial and Career Content team is made up of a Director of Career Content, Associate Director of Editorial & Career Content, and Career Content Coordinator and Writer as well as a rotating team of freelance contributing writers. The majority of our content is created and published with the intention of educating our community by offering social-impact and nonprofit career advice.
Freelance Assistant Editor
The Freelance Assistant Editor will support a variety of projects related to the Idealist blogs as well as org-wide editorial and copy-related needs (as assigned).
- Edit 8-12 blog submissions per month written by freelance and contributing writers for clarity, tone, and grammar.
- Provide written feedback via email and Google Docs to blog contributors as necessary to finalize their work.
- Lay out blog submissions and images in CMS. Will oftentimes be asked to find images to pair with a blog post.
- Potential to pitch, research, and draft 1-2 original content blog pieces for Idealist Career Advice per month.
What are the must-haves for our Freelance Assistant Editor?
- Strong editing and proofreading skills with prior experience writing and/or editing for online publications.
- Experience (and comfort) using a CMS (please be prepared to share examples of what CMS you are most familiar with).
- Tech-savvy; should have familiarity with content management and SEO best practices as well as basic HTML and photo-editing knowledge.
- Demonstrated experience and interest in the nonprofit and social-impact space, with at least two years of experience editing and/or writing content relevant to the sector.
- Anticipated hours: 70 – 80 hours / month (may fluctuate based on projects and priorities)
- This role is intended to be an ongoing, long-term commitment.
- Freelance Assistant Editor may be based outside of New York, but must be able to turn around work and communicate (email, Slack, Asana, Google Hangout, etc.) during standard East Coast business hours.
- This is a remote position, and while availability for occasional, in-person meetings in our NYC office may be requested, our offices are currently closed.
- Six month contract
- W-9 required
- $35-$45/hr, DOE; invoice required
Details at a Glance
- TIME COMMITMENT: Part Time Schedule
- JOB TYPE: Contract
- START DATE: May 3, 2021
- Salary: $35-$45/hr, DOE; invoice required
- Level of Language Proficiency: English
- Location: REMOTE
- Work may be performed anywhere in United States
- ASSOCIATED LOCATION: 389 5th Ave, FL 9, New York, NY 10016
Apply for this role